What is special about the BS degree in Physics?
- This program provides a broad and rigorous physics education preparing
students for graduate programs anywhere as well as for the many career
options of professional physicists in industry and government.
- For the first three semesters of physics courses we offer honors sections
to well prepared students. These small courses of 10-15 students explore
the course materials more in depth and with more advanced
- We hire physics majors with good grades as part-time teaching
assistants in the introductory physics courses. Participating students
find their own knowledge deepened and their skills much improved.
- In the junior lab the students are taught the intricacies of planning and
designing an experiment, and of collecting and analyzing data with the most
- The special focus on quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics in
the senior year enhances our students' knowledge and skills in critical
research areas including nanotechnology.
- The two-semester research experience (senior project) of our BS program prepares
students for dissertation work in graduate school as well as for
research and development work in government or industrial laboratories.
- Many of our best students choose to take one or two physics graduate
courses in areas they are specially interested in or wish to focus on
- Do you have more questions? You may find your answers in this